Basic description of what this assessment is…
- An assessment of basic computer skills and competency (utilizing Word 2013, PowerPoint 2013, Outlook 2013, IE10 and Windows 8/8.1) including demonstration of:
- general knowledge of concepts and terms
- for example: hardware, software, programs, files, data, storage, etc.
- file management
- for example: open a file, move a file, create folders, search for files, zip files, etc.
- document processing
- for example: formatting, including a footer, centering, printing, bolding, deleting text, etc.
- use of presentation software
- for example: creating a slide, adding notes, printing handouts, including a theme, etc.
- use e-mail to communicate
- for example: attaching a file, forwarding an email, adding a contact, etc.
- conducting online research using the Internet and a web browser
- for example: saving a web page to favorites, determining if a site is credible, etc.
- A method for meeting the General Education Competency: Understand and apply current and appropriate technology tools and resources.
- A computerized assessment consisting of both objective questions and a skills/application demonstration section.
This assessment is not…
- A “placement” exam
- A method to earn academic credit
- A way to meet any pre-requisite for advanced computer courses
Who should consider attempting this assessment:
- Someone planning to earn an Associate Degree from MCCC.
- Someone who has chosen a degree program that does not include BMGT 160, CIS 130, or MDTC 160 as either required or elective courses that will be selected during your program coursework.
- Someone with computer knowledge and good computer skills developed through experience or previous coursework.
- May be one of the options for someone interested in the nursing or respiratory therapy programs to meet criteria for application and admission to that program.
When does this need to be completed:
- Simply put, the General Education Competency Understand and apply current and appropriate technology tools and resources must be satisfied prior to graduation with an Associate Degree. In some instances, such as a Nursing application, this general education competency requirement may need to be met sooner.
How do I proceed to take this assessment?
- Pick-up an application form from your academic advisor or a counselor in the Admissions Office.
- Meet with your academic advisor or guidance counselor to discuss the assessment and your current skill level which might allow you to be successful on this assessment. Have that person sign your application.
- The assessment is administered in the RCTC, West Technology Building room 157. Please call 734-384-4144 to set up an appointment.
- When you arrive to take the assessment, you will need to show a picture ID. Please allow at least 60 minutes to complete this assessment. Don’t bring any books or materials with you.
- Upon achieving a satisfactory score on the “concepts” portion of the assessment, you will then purchase the appropriate SAM Keycode from the College Bookstore, cost = $23.00 + tax. This is necessary to proceed to the “applications” section of the assessment.
- When completed, your results will be submitted to the Registrar’s office for inclusion in your record.
REMEMBER - Only one attempt per semester/term; Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer