FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 10, 2017
Joe Verkennes, Director of Marketing and Communications
Monroe County Community College
1555 S. Raisinville Rd., Monroe, MI 48161
(734) 384-4207 (O), (419) 343-3063 (M)
APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR MCCC
CULINARY PROGRAM IS FAST APPROACHING
Extended to April 25
MONROE, Mich. – The deadline for qualified candidates to submit applications to the culinary skills and management program at Monroe County Community College is fast approaching.
Interested applicants must submit all required materials to the MCCC Admissions and Guidance Office by April 25. That deadline was recently extended from the original deadline of April 15.
The 2017-18 academic year for first-year students in culinary skills and management program beings with the Food Sanitation course this summer. MCCC’s Summer Term starts June 19.
Enrollment is limited to 20 candidates per entering class.
Required materials for submission include:
- Completed Monroe County Community College Application for Admission.
- Official transcripts from high school indicating graduation or documentation of passage of the General Education Development (GED) test (certificate of high school equivalency) and all post-secondary schools attended (if applicable).
Two letters of personal reference (references from food service employers or instructors are preferred).
- One of the following:
- ACT scores of 20 or higher in math and 18 or higher in reading and English;
- Completion of the Accuplacer Placement Test. If remedial courses are required, they must be successfully completed prior to – or concurrently with – fall culinary classes;
- Recent employment record. (The Culinary Skills and Management Admissions Committee is interested in a student’s exposure to and experience with the food service industry; therefore, such experience is preferred.)
The culinary skills and management program is designed to prepare students for careers in the food service industry. Labor market projections indicate that opportunities for trained cooks and chefs are expected to increase in the years ahead.
Students in the culinary skills and management program take college courses to gain knowledge and skills in cooking and restaurant operation. They receive hands-on experience operating the Cuisine 1300 Restaurant located on the MCCC campus and also gain experience in banquet operations, catering and kitchen management. The work is demanding and the hours are long; however, job security, promotions and good salaries reward the energetic worker.
To learn more about applying, prospective students should contact the MCCC Admissions and Guidance Office at (734) 384-4104 or visit the MCCC website at http://www.monroeccc.edu/business/culinary/culinary.htm.
About Monroe County Community College
Founded in 1964, Monroe County Community College is a public, two-year institution supported by tax monies from Monroe County, educational funds from the State of Michigan and student tuition.
The college’s mission is to enrich and transform lives by providing opportunities and excellence in higher education. The Main Campus is located at 1555 South Raisinville Road, Monroe, Mich., 48161, with easy access to Toledo and Detroit. The Whitman Center is located at 7777 Lewis Ave.,Temperance, Mich., 48182, near the Ohio-Michigan Border. Detailed information about MCCC is available at www.monroeccc.edu.