FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 7, 2016
Joe Verkennes, Director of Marketing and Communications
Monroe County Community College
1555 S. Raisinville Rd., Monroe, MI 48161
(734) 384-4207 (O), (419) 343-3063 (M)
FOCUS OF MCCC MILLAGE ‘TOWNSHIP HALL TOUR’ EXPANDED
Includes Volunteer Recruitment Efforts, 'Meet the Candidates' Forums;
Residents from Areas Surrounding Each Stop Encouraged to Participate
MONROE, Mich. – Monroe County Community College’s upcoming "Township Hall Tour" to discuss its 5-Year Maintenance and Improvement Millage request has been expanded to include volunteer recruitment efforts and “Meet the Candidates” forums at each stop.
In addition, residents from townships, villages and/or cities near the respective township hall meetings are encouraged to participate in the forums.
The “Township Hall Tour” will include visits across the county throughout July to answer questions from residents about MCCC’s proposal for voters to approve a .85-mill additional property tax levy in November to fund critical maintenance and improvement projects at the college. MCCC is seeking volunteers to help with the effort to share information about the millage within their own communities.
MCCC is also inviting area candidates running for election in August or November to introduce themselves to community members at the forums.
The session dates, locations and corresponding locales are detailed below. Each session begins at 6 p.m.
- July 11: Ash Township Hall, 1677 Ready Rd., Carleton. Corresponding locales: Ash Township, Carleton, Estral Beach, Exeter Township, South Rockwood and Berlin Township.
- July 12: London Township Hall, 13613 Tuttlehill Rd., Milan. Corresponding locales: London Township, Maybee, City of Milan and Milan Township.
- July 14: Bedford Government Center, 8100 Jackman Rd., Temperance. Corresponding locales: Bedford Township and Whiteford Township.
- July 19: Frenchtown Township Hall, 2744 Vivian Rd., Monroe. Corresponding locales: Frenchtown Township and the City of Monroe.
- July 20: Dundee Township Hall, 179 Main St., Dundee. Corresponding locales: Dundee Township, Village of Dundee, Petersburg and Summerfield Township.
- July 21: CANCELLED
- July 25: Monroe Charter Township Hall, 4925 E. Dunbar Rd., Monroe: Corresponding locales: Erie Township, La Salle Township, City of Luna Pier, Monroe Charter Township and Raisinville Township.
On June 30, MCCC officials announced a reduction of the 5-year millage request from .95 to .85 mills in response to the inclusion earlier in June of funding in the state’s General Fund Budget Bill for a facility project that is one component of the millage request. This move decreases the amount the additional tax would cost taxpayers over 5 years by nearly 10 percent.
If approved, the additional tax would generate an estimated 4.83 million for the college in 2016 and would cost the owner of a $100,000 home $42.50 per year – less than 82 cents per week.
Funds would be used for critical maintenance and renovation projects throughout the Main Campus and at the Whitman Center in Temperance. Included would be projects to update safety, accessibility, technology and the learning environment, as well as maintenance that has been deferred because of substantial reductions in property tax revenue over many years. A complete list of projects to be funded by the millage can be accessed at www.monroeccc.edu/millage.
About Monroe County Community College
Founded in 1964, Monroe County Community College is a public, two-year institution supported by tax monies from Monroe County, educational funds from the State of Michigan and student tuition.
The college’s mission is to enrich and transform lives by providing opportunities and excellence in higher education. The Main Campus is located at 1555 South Raisinville Road, Monroe, Mich., 48161, with easy access to Toledo and Detroit. The Whitman Center is located at 7777 Lewis Ave.,Temperance, Mich., 48182, near the Ohio-Michigan Border. Detailed information about MCCC is available at www.monroeccc.edu.