Using a strong password is important and the following guidelines should be considered when creating a strong password:
- Must be at least 8 characters and must be changed every 180 days.
- Cannot contain your username or any part of your username.
- Must contain characters from 3 of the 4 following categories:
- Uppercase letter
- Lowercase letter
- Special characters, such as: ‘!@#$%^&*()-<.>?
- Passwords are private and should not be shared.
- Do not use dictionary words.
- Do not use words spelled backwards, common misspellings, or abbreviations.
- Do not use sequences or repeated characters.
- Do not use personal information.
Pick a password that will not be easily guessed. A password must contain at least 8 characters as noted above. The longer the password the better as each added character makes the password more secure.
How to change your Windows password at your desktop
- Log into your on-campus system.
- Once logged in, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete, and then click Change a Password.
- Type your old password, type your new password, type your new password again to confirm it, and then press Enter.
How to change your password through Outlook Web Access
- Log into your Outlook Web Access account.
- Click ‘Options’ near upper right hand corner.
- On the left hand pane, click Change Password.
- Type your old password, type your new password, type your new password again to confirm it, and then click Save.
NOTE: When you change your password in either your Windows or Outlook web access, it is changed for both. You will also need to change the password on all your devices used to connect to the monroeccc wireless network to the new password (Android Phone, Chromebook, iPad and iPhone, Mac Maverick and Mac Mt Lion) to the new password. Failure to do so will result in to many login tries and lock you out of your account.
Example: You are at your work computer in your office and you press Ctrl + Alt + Del and change your system password, now it is also changed for your Outlook email. Then you must change your password for all devices that you use to connect to the monroeccc wireless and work email like your Android Phone, Chromebook, iPad and iPhone, Mac Maverick and Mac Mt Lion.